A Brief History of Prairie Avenue
The story of Prairie Avenue began in April 1922, when members of the boards of Central Christian and First Christian churches in Decatur met in the basement of First Christian church to create a Decatur Missionary Society to help plan expansion of the work of the Christian churches in the city. On September 26, 1924, as part of the celebration of the anniversaries of First Christian and Central, the Decatur Christian Missionary Society gathered 75 men at 7:00 a.m. for the purpose of building a church in one day on the grounds secured by the society. By 7 p.m., the Dedicatory services were conducted by H. H. Peters, the state secretary of the Christian churches. The first church service was held in the frame building on September 28, 1924, led by Rev. R. R. Finlayson. The church was named Seventh Street Christian Church at the close of the meeting. Seventh Street Christian Church remained the name of the congregation until February 1942, when Seventh Street was renamed 22nd Street, and the name was changed to Prairie Avenue Christian Church.
In 1949 the original building was destroyed by fire and in 1951 the congregation began worshipping in their current sanctuary. In 1968 the congregation broke ground for an education building.